The RAI invites applications from current History and Politics graduate members of Oxford University for election to: Two one-year graduate scholarships, each to the value of £9,000, for fourth-year graduate students working in the fields of American Politics or History (broadly construed). The scholarship will include access to desk space in a shared office during the Institute's opening hours.
These two scholarships are intended to support outstanding students who are in the process of finishing their doctoral research, and for whom a fourth year would allow the completion of their thesis. Preference will be given to candidates who have not already secured research funding elsewhere.
Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrably engaged in and contributed to the intellectual life of the Institute. Successful candidates will be expected to continue to play a strong role in the Institute’s activities during the 2016-7 academic year.
The deadline for applicatons is Thursday 2 June 2016 at noon.
How to apply
An application consists of 5 elements:
- A completed RAI Scholarship Application Form. This can be downloaded from here.
- A cover letter outlining a) research funding already secured (if any); b) past and future the contributions to the intellectual life of the Institute and to research seminars in the candidate's field.
- A curriculum vitae of not more than two pages including education and qualifications to date.
- A sample chapter of the thesis and a 1 page abstract of the project as a whole.
- A reference from the D.Phil. supervisor providing a judgement about the likely completion date of the thesis.
Please send materials in support of your application either:
- by post to the Graduate Scholarships Committee, The Rothermere American Institute, 1a South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3UB
- or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline is Thursday 2 June 2016 at noon. The selection committee reserves the right not to consider late or incomplete applications.