The RAI is fortunate to be able to offer financial support to fourth-year Oxford graduate students writing up theses in American history, politics, and literature or culture. Applications are now open for scholarships tenable in the academic year 2021-22. The deadline is 12 noon on Monday 17 May 2021.
2021-22 Graduate Scholarships
The RAI invites applications from current doctoral students at Oxford University for election to:
One-year graduate scholarships, each to the value of £9,000, for fourth-year graduate students working in the fields of American Politics, History, or Literature and Culture (broadly construed). A scholarship will include access to desk space in a shared office during the Institute’s opening hours.
These scholarships are intended to support outstanding students who are in the process of finishing their doctoral research, and for whom a fourth year would allow the completion of their thesis. Preference will be given to candidates who have not already secured research funding elsewhere.
Preference will also be given to candidates who have demonstrably engaged in and contributed to the intellectual life of the Institute. Successful candidates will be expected to continue to play a strong role in the Institute’s activities during the 2021-22 academic year. Successful candidates working on American Literature may be called upon to convene the American Literature Research Seminar (ALRS).
How to apply:
An application consists of 5 elements:
- A completed RAI Scholarship Application Form. This can be downloaded from https://rai.web.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/rai_scholarship_application...
- A cover letter outlining (i) research funding already secured, if any, and (ii) past and future the contributions to the intellectual life of the Institute and to research seminars in the candidate’s field
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages including education and qualifications to date.
- A sample chapter of the thesis and a one-page abstract of the project as a whole.
- A reference from the D.Phil. supervisor providing a judgement about the likely completion date of the thesis.
Please send materials in support of your application by email to email@example.com.
The deadline is Monday 17 May 2021 at noon. The selection committee reserves the right not to consider late or incomplete applications.