The USA’s strategic engagements in the Indo-Pacific since 1895.
I am Associate Research Fellow, Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies, King’s College London; Fellow, University of Oxford Rothermere American Institute; and Senior Research Fellow, Institute for China-America Studies, Washington, D.C. I hold Master of Studies and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Modern History from the University of Oxford and have held various fellowships and teaching posts in Asia, Europe, and the United States of America. Before taking up my current post at Oxford, I was a First Sea Lord Fellow and a Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge.
Focusing on the USA’s twentieth century strategic engagements in the Indo-Pacific, my interdisciplinary research incorporates Area Studies, History, and International Relations. In June 2021, the National University of Malaysia’s Professor Kuik Cheng-Chwee (郑瑞奎) and I won an Office of Naval Research Global Grant Award to investigate the influence of maritime diplomacy on Sino-American relations, 1949-96. Our project was conceived at Oxford when Cheng-Chwee held a Visiting Research Fellowship at the Department of Politics and International Relations and I held an early career Economic and Social Research Council Fellowship at the History Faculty and St Cross College. In addition to my academic work, I undertake governmental analytical assignments and contribute occasionally to internationally televised documentary series.
My door is wide open to students, scholars, and practitioners who share my research interests.
- “Command, Strategic Contest, and Confidence-building in the South China Sea,” Orbis, vol. 65:3 (Summer 2021).
- “Struggles for Prestige and Power, 960-2020” in Zou K., ed., Routledge Handbook of the South China Sea (London, 2021).
- “Military Attaché, Accidental Agent: Colonel Bonner Fellers’ Defence Engagement Mission in Cairo, 1940 – 42” in Kennedy, G., ed., Defence Engagement Since 1900 (Lawrence, 2020).
- “International Threat-making in a Semi-Enclosed Sea: An Empirical Survey of Challenges to Cooperation in the South China Sea” in Zou K., ed., Maritime Cooperation in Semi-Enclosed Seas: Asian and European Experiences (Leiden, 2019).
- “History, Strategy, and the South China Sea,” in Jenner, C. J., and Tran T. T. eds., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016 [paperback 2018]).
- “Domestic Politics: The Overlooked Under-current in the South China Sea,” with Nguyễn Hùng Sơn, in Jenner, C. J., and Tran T. T. eds., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
- “Sino-American Rivalry in the South China Sea: Is it Time to Form a Maritime Middle Power Cooperative?” with Sukjoon Yoon, in Jenner, C. J., and Tran T. T. eds., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
- “Engaging the Changing Order in South-East Asia,” Journal of International Studies [Tạp chí Nghiên cứu Quốc tế], 32 (June 2015).
- “Trật Tự Đang Thay Đông ở Nam Á,” [Order and Change in South-East Asia] Tạp chí Các vấn đề Quốc tế [Journal of International Affairs], Tài liệu Tham khảo Đặc biệt (February 2015).
- “Making Peace in Hà Nội and Washington: General John W. Vessey’s Presidential Emissaryship to Việt Nam, 1987-94” in Diplomats at War: The American Experience, editors Stewart, A. and Rofe, J. S. (Dordrecht, 2013).